As Soup recipes are going to be a regular feature on this blog, they might as well have a title of their own and Sunday Soup has a ring to it. This week's vegetable is the glorious cauliflower & the soup in question is Cauliflower and Stilton
Tip: In soups all tastes are enhanced so you need to be careful with seasoning and certain ingredients such as Stilton, this is a case of "less is more."
Cauliflower and Stilton
- 2 medium onions
- knob of butter
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 litre/35fl oz chicken stock
- 100g/3½oz Stilton
- 300g/10½fl oz double cream or 300ml milk
- In a large pot, cook the onions in butter until soft.
- Add the cauliflower florets and the chicken stock.
- Cook for 25 minutes or until the florets are soft
- Leave it to cool and mix in the food processor
- Return to the pan add the Stilton and the cream or milk and bring nearly to the boil
- Season serve with crusty bread.
Variations on Cauliflower Soup
The base soup is #1 and 2 in recipe above
Cauliflower Cheese Soup : add nutmeg, 200g of cheddar 1tsp English mustard
Cauliflower Broccoli Mustard soup : add broccoli florets (about 1 head) to stock + 1tsp English mustard in the processor
Cream of cauliflower soup: add 2 gloves of garlic to the stock and a pinch of nutmeg do not use all the stock.