I never cared much for Sweet Swirls or Pains aux raisins to give them their French name. Though, in Lyon, for some unknown reason, these viennoiseries are called Pain Russes. Nobody knows why.
Having said that, the savoury version, like that of croissants see croissant crown is very handy for picnic and parties. They are cheap to make and can feed a crowd.
The only difficulty with this recipe is how to roll the swirl properly and even this is not too tricky. It needs to be rolled starting with the shorter end.
Preheated oven 200C
- unroll the puff pastry, and roll it out so that it reaches 30 x40
- spread the pasta sauce and the hot sauce or chilli if used
- ham and cheddar spread equally on the top
- mixed herbs next
- Starting from the small side roll the pastry very tight and put it in the fridge for 10 minutes
- with a sharp knife cut 12 equal slices, lay them flat on a greaseproof paper on a tray, brush them with the egg
- Bake for 15 minutes in oven