This blog is asking for a bit of audience participation since this recipe is being entered Lovethegarden.com Potty About Potatoes competition. The recipe which gets the most votes will be win its blogger (Meee) a £200 meal in any chosen restaurant.
So I am hoping for plenty of votes to celebrate this very simple recipe made with humble tatties.
This dish is a take on Gratin Dauphinois/pommes lyonnaises, a kind of crazy Swedish version of this very lyonnais dish. What could be more delicious than cream onions potatoes baked slowly in cream and butter and to give it a weird twist the addition of anchovies.
Jansson's tempationIf you would like to vote for this recipe click here :
30g can anchovy fillets in olive oil
2 medium onions, very finely sliced
4 medium, waxy potatoes (about 800g), thinly sliced
284ml carton double cream, made up to 300ml with milk
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6.
- Clean the anchovies gently under tap water and chop
- Gently heat half the butter in a saucepan, add the onions and fry over a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Thin the potatoes thinly and arrange them in a buttered over dish
- One layer at the time
- Between layer add onions, the mixture of cream and milk, salt, pepper, anchovies.
- Till you reach the top or run out of potatoes
- Bake between 50 minutes to an hour. Check the potatoes are well cook as the cooking time depends entirely on the kind of potatoes used. it could take an extra 20minutes more.