This one is definitely a bread for complete beginners. If you have never made bread before, GO for this recipe, STRAIGHT AWAY. Serve it with a salad or a soup and you will be crowned best cook of the day.
Dampers are very similar to soda bread or scones. Originally from Australia devised by people who lived in the bush, cooked over low fire or in the ashes. I recently saw a recipe for damper cooked in a flower pot. But let not go cracker/cracking pot.
all you need is
375g of self raising flour
1 teaspoon salt
90g butter (either kind salted or not)
- Preheat oven gas mark 6-7 (210C)
- Put the flour and salt in a bowl
- Make a well
- Pour milk and butter in the well
- Stir until combined
- Add water if needed
- Place the dough on baking tray
- cut a cross the dough on the top with a sharp knife
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes
- Reduce temperature to 180C
- bake for further 15 minutes
- Get out of the oven, let to rest on a rack, serve warm
And come back on Monday to get ideas for bits to add to it.